Layout of Tablespace in Database in an SAP System


The SAP systems before 6.1 had the following tablespace layout:

SYSTEM - (Oracle Dictionary)
PSAPTEMP - (Standard tablespace for sort operations)
PSAPROLL - (Standard tablespace for rollback segments)
PSAPBTABD/I - (Standard tablespace for frequently changed data)
PSAPSTABD/I - (Standard tablespace for rarely changed data)
PSAPPOOLD/I - (Standard tablespace for SAP pool tables)
PSAPPROTD/I - (Standard tablespace for log information)
PSAPLOADD/I - (Standard tablespace for SAP loads (executables))
PSAPSOURCED/I - (Standard tablespace for SAP sources (ABAP))
PSAPDOCUD/I - (Standard tablespace for documentation tables)
PSAPCLUD/I - (Standard tablespace for SAP cluster data)
PSAPDDICD/I - (Standard tablespace for the SAP data dictionary)
PSAPUSER1D/I - (Standard tablespace for data customers)
PSAPEL<REL>D/I - (Standard tablespace for release load programs)
PSAPES<REL>D/I - (Standard tablespace for release source programs)

This layout was based on logical division of the type of data that the tables would save. Due to this layout, one could distribute them over several disks to optimize disk I/O access.

The newer SAP installation come with the following tablespace layout:

SYSTEM (tablespace for the Oracle dictionary)
SYSAUX (additional tablespace as of Oracle database 10g)
PSAPTEMP (default tablespace for database sort operations)
PSAPUNDO/PSAPROLL (default tablespace for segment undo/rollback)
PSAP<SCHEMA_ID> (default tablespace for all SAP objects of the ABAP stack)
PSAP<SCHEMA_ID>DB (default tablespace for all SAP objects of the Java stack)
PSAP<SCHEMA_ID>USR (default tablespace for all customer objects)
PSAP<SCHEMA_ID><REL> (default tablespace for release-dependent data)
PSAP<SCHEMA_ID<NAME> (Additional tablespace for example, for large tables)

The new layout lets you install MCOD systems and eases databse administration. This set up is based on the improvements made in disk management and storage systems over the years.

When you upgrade an SAP system (prior to 6.1, with classic tablespace layout) to release 6.1 or older, the layout is not changed. You can change it manually using BR Tools. Checkout SAP Notes 646681 and 541538.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OS/DB Migration - CMD. STR, TOC, EXT, R3load, DDLDBS.TPL and more

Fixing Inconsistent Table - Table activation fails due to inconsistency between DD and DB

301 Redirect Using SAP Web Dispatcher